Sunday, July 12, 2009

Manuscript Query #2

Rick just handed me a query to review. I'd like to share.

----
To: F + V Publications
From: HCO
Subject: A Sweeping Novel a la War and Peace, Swann's Way, Don Quixote, and the Adventures of Curious George.

For your consideration, I have included the following excerpt from my ironically titled novel "A Novel, A Novel By" which will intrigue potential readers when they read "A Novel, A Novel by" a Novel by HCO (note: when I go on press tours to promote the book I will try to lower my intellect to the level of the people).

*************
George adjusted his visor on his helmet which was in fact a barber's basin, though his loyal squire, Poncho Sanza, wasn't going to say so. Among the other things Poncho refused to reveal, were the following:

  • George was in fact a chimpanzee - not the old delusional human knight he had deluded himself into thinking he was.
  • Natasha, the lady whom he sometimes referred to as "Dulcinea", was hardly a lady (she wasn't transgendered or anything - this is more an indictment of her moral character) and was already making plans to elope with Anatole (note: Natasha and Anatole are both humans).
  • George's childhood home in Combray had been burned to the ground as they set off on their journey when Poncho finally succeeded in igniting his own flatulence
  • Poncho was not a chimpanzee as he had claimed, but a capuchin.

George turned to his companion.

- See you yon giants?
- Of course, master.
- Methinks they doth mean the fair village harm.
- Perhaps they harness the power of the wind to aid in agricultural practices?
- Poncho, thou art a fool - thou'st merely see'th the foul enchantment of an enchanter designed to make'st thou think the giants be windmills.
- Honestly, I'm at a loss: there's no real way to assail that kind of thinking.
- Charge!
*****
I eagerly await your response.
-HCO
--------------------------

I don't even know what to say. Maybe I'll come up with something while I'm at dinner with Rick tonight. He invited me out and I felt oddly compelled to go.